In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Brutal Weather

We're having a cold spell, which is brutal for this corner of the world. It's far from the freezing conditions to the North, but is has its own way of causing misery.

Here, when the temperature is around 40, and the humidity is around 90 percent, the cold seeps into everything. It's not dangerous, but it's hard to warm up with the damp cold permeating everything.

I never paid much attention to this type of cold, until a few years ago, when the temperature finally fell before freezing. The air became much drier, the sleet turned into snow, and the air stopped being so quick to remove any heat. It was enough of a change to find remarkable.

So, the forecasters are calling for cold, cloudy and damp conditions through the New Year. I hope the temperature stays above freezing, and we don't have to face an ice storm. That turns live oak trees into the damaging bane of utility workers. The leaves collect huge amounts of ice, the limbs break, and many are faced with days without electricity. For all electric homes, that's the start of misery.

2 comments:

  1. F-f-f-forty! :)
    it's -1℉ here right now. The air hurts my face and my nostrils freeze on the dash to the car in the morning. What must them Canadians be thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down here, few know how to dress for sub-freezing temperatures, and when it becomes that cold, most construction comes to a halt.

      With temperatures in the thirty to forty range, and the high humidity, work goes on, but it's tedious, due to bulky clothes and gloves. That, and the damp cold eventually becomes as tiring as a long day in the heat of Summer.

      Delete