In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, October 26, 2019

Watching "Dirty Jobs"

I've been watching Mike Rowe, and his crew, on the television this morning. His show: "Dirty Jobs" was, and still is, popular to many. I've seen some episodes more than once, but always  enjoy seeing them again. Why? The show reveals the tremendous amount of manual labor required to keep what we call "modern society" on the rails.

While the lure of higher education keeps many thinking it will bring wealth, and success, both may not be what people want, or need. Wealth doesn't buy happiness, and success isn't always measured in the accumulation of things. Neither guarantees health, and neither always endears a person to others.

I've observed the caliber of young new hires for the last few decades. At one time, they were more acclimated to working, and taking on responsibility. That, and they weren't thin skinned like those found today.

I'm finding I have less patience with dealing with youngsters given too many things in life, and never forced to understand their feelings sometimes need to be placed on hold. I don't have to cater to their emotions. There's work to be done, and they're expected to do the work without reacting like an emotional third grader.

There are many opportunities for young folks willing to get their hands dirty. For too many, dirty hands will be a first time experience; even though they're in their early twenties. All they have to do is pay attention, do the menial tasks first, and learn a trade that may allow them more wages than many professionals. Whether enough take this path is to be seen. If they don't, there are many Mexicans standing in line for the opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. One of the guys working on the underground crew I was in charge of once said 'I hate being this generation, because everyone thinks I'm a slacking Millennial.'

    I told him, yeah but everyone knows you're not. He's probably about 25 now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he's like the ambitious young people I've dealt with, his hard work will allow him an advantage.

      Delete
  2. I had one of my scouts pick the chance to be an electrical lineman. Within a few years, he'll be making a living wage where he won't have to have his wife work, unless she chooses. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete