In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, March 20, 2022

Annual Dusting and Unusual Boom

The trees are blooming. The last few weeks yielded the annual dusting of pollen, but the main event is starting. Cars are covered with a light dust in minutes, and over days will accumulate enough pollen to look like they were parked in the dry desert. 

Pine trees are growing the beginnings of cones. The small growths are yellow, and appear like clusters of ornaments. The amount of pollen they release is almost unbelievable, and will coat ponds with a thick yellow film. Eventually, the pollen will fall off, and I always hope for some rain at the tail end of the event. The allergen disappears for awhile, but can settle in the ground cover for distributing again on a dry, windy day.

My sinuses have taken a beating. They always do, but an antihistamine usually relives the symptoms. Some I know are forced to visit their doctor for help. Failing to do so leaves them with deep congestion, and with one person I know, the beginnings of pneumonia. 

 Last night, just after dark, my windows rattled, as a huge thump hit the house. I rushed outside to see what happened, but couldn't find anything that might have explained the event. The sky was clear, radar showed no thunderstorms, the distant refineries didn't report any explosions, and their were no jets to be seen.  Looking at local news reports didn't yield an answer, and as of this morning, it's still unexplained. 

I've had this happen before, with the same result. If I had to guess, I'd guess it was a meteor. Unless someone is outside, sees the meteor, and hears the sonic boom, they would have no clue of what caused the boom. It fits, and is another thing that makes life interesting.

7 comments:

  1. I once a third sudafed one day and I thought I had developed a prostate problem. Couldn't urinate. A little investigation showed that it was a known side effect.
    I stopped taking antihistamines after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sudafed has a decongestant that causes me problems. All I take is chlorpheniramine, which is only an antihistamine. It works. Pseudoephedrine causes me problems.

      Delete
  2. Up on Wilder Mountain I once heard what I was certain was the roar of a cougar/mountain lion. I was outside, and looked around, but all I saw was fence. Mountain lions were seen there about a decade later. Early adopter??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early adopter, or you have a keen sense of hearing. You heard a mountain lion. Everyone else heard the timer going off for the microwave popcorn.

      Delete
  3. Jess, this page may come in handy for you

    https://fireball.amsmeteors.org/members/imo_view/event/2022/1876

    Fireball reporting. The one I linked was on the 19th.

    I remember being up at 2-3 am one morning because of the cat. As I walked up to the window a green meteor zoomed over head heading SE. It lasted moments but was spectacular. Timing it everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I've seen a few amazing meteors, with one that broke into several pieces as it passed overhead. I've never heard one as I watched, but heard low rumblings years ago when a Chinese satellite burned up overhead.

      Delete