In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Deep in a Drought

It's unusual occurrence in my neck of the woods, but we're in a moderate drought. Rain has been sparse, and none is forecast for the next week. That will bring more stress to the trees, and anything needing to be saved will have to be watered. 

The vegetable plants are requiring some water daily, since there are few clouds, the humidity is lower than normal, and the hot sun is drying everything more during the 93 degree afternoons. The grass is starting to stress, and it won't be long before a burning ban is declared. 

Back in the nineties, we had a brutally hot summer. Afternoon temperatures were in the triple digits, and for one week, the temperature on our project site was around 108 degrees. We'd start at 6:00 am, if not earlier, and by 2:00 pm, everyone had enough, so we'd stop by 2:30. A few of our hands had to take a few hours in air conditioning to ward off the effects of heat exhaustion. Electrolytes were mandatory to survive, and I'd know when someone needed to take a break by their inability to get enough water. Too much only leads to vomiting and more heat exhaustion. 

Earlier than usual, we were rewarded with a real cold front in early September. It broke the heat, morning were comfortably cool, and the afternoons were pleasant. We needed it, and were glad for the change. 

Hopefully this summer won't be a repeat. If so, I have a huge amount of empathy for those that have to work outside.

3 comments:

  1. The summer of 1992 was that way for me. Working in 105 to 109 heat day in day out 7 days a week 16 hours day. Each hour worked we would break for 15 minutes and drink gatorade. Got really old really quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once worked a three week turnaround in a coke calcining plant. The sixteen hour days, blistering summer heat, and hard work took off twenty pounds. I was exhausted at the end, and told the engineer: "If the plant falls into the river, don't call me."

      Delete
  2. I'd rather work at zero than 100.

    ReplyDelete