In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, February 6, 2017

I Don't Think Enough Understand

With all technology available, research opportunities, and tremendous resources, it's almost hard to believe journalists now reached a point where their credibility is in the tank. False statements are reported as fact, fictitious events are presented as real, and political beliefs are interspersed with reporting.

I don't think enough of those involved with reporting the news understand they're not only losing their audience, revenue is falling, and the largest organizations will find there aren't enough investors to keep the doors open. Stockholders will sell their stock, and if the selling is brisk, the ability to function might leave in a substantially short period of time.

I don't think erroneous news is new, but with available technology, more people realize how many lies are perpetuated by what is now called "fake news"; and the reaction is distrust embellished with anger. Where there were only a few news outlets, there are now thousands available, and it's apparent some of the largest have an agenda, and it's not what the majority wants.

I don't know how this will turn out, but it's obvious the damage is great. Journalists are now immediately suspected of a lack of integrity, and the vocation is not considered as honorable as it was before. That's tragic, when you consider the opportunity lost, and the disgrace of what was once a noble profession.

2 comments:

  1. Years back, when news people like Cronkite or Huntley and Brinkley reported the news of the day, we believed them because time after time their reporting proved to be correct. We felt they could be trusted to tell the truth. It is a sad state of affairs that today we assume we are being fed a pack of lies. The major news agencies, both written and broadcast, have already dug their own graves and seem to be busy pulling the dirt down on themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was growing up, we never watched Cronkite. It was only Huntley Brinkley. After reaching adulthood, and seeing how Cronkite has a liberal agenda, I realized why my parents had such a low opinion of Walter Cronkite.

      Delete