In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Blue Blazes

Early last week, we had about an inch of rain from a stationary front to the north. Near the front, there was more rain for long periods, but we only received little from the outflow boundary. It was good, but the rest of the week allowed the temperature to rise. This higher temperature, with the rich humidity is now at the dangerous level.

Yesterday, the heat index was around 110. Today, it's forecast to be higher, which to someone unfamiliar with this environment, is hard to comprehend. Sweat doesn't evaporate, a few minutes outdoors leaves you drenched with sweat, and the lack of a breeze allows no relief. Without resting, seeking shade, and drinking plenty of liquids can lead to death kill. Even with water, the loss of electrolytes leads to severe heat cramps in the evening. I take supplements, and drink pickle juice to ward off the agonizing cramps that can double me over.

Unless things change, I see the possibility of a brutal summer like we had in the nineties. Temperatures were in the triple digits for weeks, and we shut down projects at two in the afternoon. Trying to work beyond that point led to heat exhaustion, and the possibility of a heat stroke.

10 comments:

  1. We too, are under a heat advisory..indexes today close to 110, and tomorrow, even higher. Stay cool, and preferably inside..Pickle juice,,,I had not heard that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've woken in the middle of the night, taken a big swig of pickle juice, and walked out a cramp in my thigh.

      Delete
  2. Heat index is what makes life rough. Folks thought that we where nuts moving back to MN from FLA..don't regret it one bit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to Virginia two months ago on business. The temperature, and humidity in the mountains was refreshing. The heat already started down home, and it was in the fifties during the morning in Virginia.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Escaping it, when construction is my trade, is almost impossible.

      Delete
  4. 108 at my house today - 'officially' (airport) only 106. Tomorrow likely higher...........'might' be only in the upper 90s for the weekend though ;-)
    South Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had temperatures that high in a long time, but the memories of those days are still fresh. The memories are far from good.

      Delete
  5. I make my own gate r aide. A quart of water, touch of baking soda, touch of salt, a touch of sugar, and some lemon juice to cover the flat taste. Perks me right up. Less crap than the orange stuff, too.

    Working outside like a real man is tougher as I get older. Hang in there, winter will be here on a Tuesday in December, then summer the rest of the month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take supplements, and found foods rich in potassium help with the cramps. It's a bad feeling to awake from a sound sleep, with a calf muscle cramp.

      Delete