In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, June 19, 2023

Well....It Got Away

Yesterday, while attempting to ring a bell on my sister-in-law's porch, I was attacked, and stung, by a stealth wasp. Stealth wasp? I never saw it. I must have turned my head for a moment, it flew from inside the bell, stung me on my right arm, and was gone before I could see what it was. 

I know it was a wasp, since bees leave their stinger, and the pain is different. I haven't been stung in years, but the familiar pain reminded me of years ago, being stung by a wasp, and ending up at the doctor, when the red streaks started up my leg. I was young, and don't remember what they did for treatment, but remembered a cigarette tobacco poultice usually helps. With a convenient ash bucket close, I made a poultice out of a butt, and applied it. It helped, but I was still wary. 

After a few minutes of waiting, realizing no severe reaction would happen, and being totally pissed, I went home, washed the area, and took an antihistamine. Later, an area about 3 inches in diameter appeared, and felt warm to the touch. 

Today, the area is still there, itching, and slowly fading. It will disappear in a few days, and if it's like some wasp stings I've endured before, the muscle will ache for days. 

It's time to get out the Bifen, spray her porch, spray around her house, and kill whatever insects are trying to inhabit the area. He porch is a really nice place to sit, and in the evenings, it's cooler than my porch. Wasps aren't invited, and will be executed as needed.


8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your sting - - I hope you feel better right away.
    Wasp nests are not uncommon here. I plan to try an idea I read somewhere: use brown paper bags, such as lunch bags for this. Put sheets of plastic or other filler into each bag to give it shape, then twist the top shut. Hang it under eaves, in low-hanging tree branches - - wherever wasps like to build nests. This is supposed to send wasps the message that the space is taken, and to move along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually leave wasp to their nest building, unless it's a high traffic area. They prey on worms, and other critters that like to eat what's in the garden.

      Delete
  2. I hate it when that happens. Especially to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happens to me with fire ants. Never missed 'em in 14+ years. Nuke 'em all from orbit, the only way to be sure. I hate those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was weed whacking this morning, when I felt the familiar sting of a fire ant. There was no bed around, so it was probably just foraging, was thrown to my foot, and did what they always do. Usually, the first sting is the prelude to many more. The critters will swarm, and start stinging as though they wait until given the order to sting. This time, my careful examination only revealed the one.

      Delete