In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, April 26, 2024

New Arrivals

 Earlier in the week, my wife noticed two new ducks in the pond. A little research revealed they're Black- bellied Whistling-ducks. I've seen them about 40 miles to the south, but only in one spot. From what I know, they're not real common in our area, but their numbers are increasing, and I'm thinking they are looking for new foraging areas. 

This morning revealed six, which makes me think there are more about, but some are still too shy to land. We'll find out in the next few days, but I have a feeling those here will stay for the food thrown to the geese. Hopefully, we don't end up with so many we have to chase them away.


               

4 comments:

  1. My little swamp is full of them in the winter but come spring only a pair or two stay & nest in Wood Ducks boxes. They walk out the swamp to eat in the corn fields after harvest & they make a heck of a racket whistling, you can hear them long before you see them. Don't usually take them cause they are kinda scrawny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very rare in my area. If they're like the wood ducks, they'll not stay long.

      Delete
  2. A.K.A. "Mexican Squealers" in Louisiana (and likely elsewhere for all I know) where they have a reputation for running wood ducks out of nesting boxes and such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ones that showed up in the pond are definitely comfortable enough to not pass up a meal. Two wood ducks were here yesterday, but left.

      Delete