In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, September 26, 2015

Hummingbirds

This is the first summer of my life, where I fed, and watched, hummingbirds. It's been rewarding; mostly because their existence is fascinating.

It's probably good hummingbirds are so small. If they were as large as a crow, their territorial fights would end with broken windows and mayhem around the yard. They don't get along well with each other, and it's not uncommon to see one become "Emperor" of the feeder, and spend almost all its energy chasing off other hummingbirds that come to feed.

Still, they give me moments of peace. When one finally comes to the feeder, and decide it's where to feed, it's comforting to watch such a tiny critter finally roost, after it's full of the sugar water I provided.

It's time for the hummingbirds to move further south, and eventually arrive at their winter grounds. Until then  I'll enjoy their antics, as they wander around the yard and feed at the feeder. Some will return next Spring. I'll enjoy them, when they return.

2 comments:

  1. They are fascinating to watch. They seem to love the wife's Butterfly Bush up here in Michigan. Good thing they don't have a lot of meat on their bones. Cuts down on the predators, though I don't know what would be capable of catching this little fellas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are brutal to their own. One will chase others from the feeder for hours, and feed at leisure.

      Delete