In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, June 19, 2021

Projects

 I've had some projects over the last few weeks. The weed trimmer was one. That, and building a small fence around the rose bed to keep the ducks from tearing up the roots to build a nest. The day before yesterday was one I'd never done, which proved to be enlightening. 

My wife, and I, decided our porch needed something more than a box fan for keeping a breeze. We decided on a ceiling fan, which required some research. The one important thing, which turned out to be the final determination, was having a junction box rated for a ceiling fan. After removing some items, I found a stamp on the box stating the box was indeed rated for a ceiling fan weight. So, the project was on.

The fan came with everything, except the two screw to hold the fan bracket on the junction box. The existing screws were too long, so I had to go to the hardware store for shorter screws, which were too short. My wife made a trip, while I sorted out the parts, and waited to install the hanger bracket.

The bracket was fairly easy, except on a ladder,  with a small workspace, made it tedious. Even more tedious was placing the fan motor, and connecting the wires. One good thing was the amount of wire included. Cutting it just long enough to place the motor on the top of the ladder, while I connected the wires allowed an easy connection, and the base allowed storage for all the excess wire. 

The fan brackets were only had two screws, and the snap on plastic fans allowed placing the brackets without the blades. Completing the entire project took about an hour, but my inexperience, and studying time, stretched it to two hours. That was plenty long enough, since it was 95 on the porch, and the heat was catching up with me. 

The difference is notable. A moving breeze allows any cooler exterior air to balance out the hot air on the porch. It's still hot, but when the sun is low, or set, the cool air allows time to sit on the porch. That's when relatives will come to visit, and we can enjoy the evening with something to drink.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I was hesitant at first. Horror stories of installing ceiling fans are prevalent. This one was easier than I thought, which left a feeling of "what did I miss?".

      Delete
    2. I was laying in bed the other night wishing I had a remote for the 35 year old ceiling fan. The temp had dropped and it was cooler.
      But I did not want to get out of bed.
      I do not relish installing a new one.
      My Wife suggested I lengthen the pull chain.
      I love her.

      Delete
  2. Good call...we put dual fans on our new rear patio covering when we lived in the RGV..both rated outdoor and all weather...lasted 12 years..even though they move warm air...it still helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there's the tiniest amount of cool air to be found, the fan will move it, and allow some relief.

      The fan is rated for covered outdoor use. The best part is the ease of removing the blades. Tropical systems can have winds that can destroy a ceiling fan.

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking about getting one for outside for near my hot tub. Yes, that makes no sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ,I'm a retired blogger from Israel(IDF),I have a new FUNNY/HUMOR blog: funnylinksblog.wordpress.com and I am interested in a Reciprocal Links with your great blog.Please your reply.Thank you.Sincerely,David.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have installed 3 ceiling fans where the box was not rated for the weight. I went to the attic and put a piece of lumber across the ceiling joices with a hole driller for a piece of allthread. Screwed the allthread into the top of the fan and used washers and lock nuts to hold it up.

    ReplyDelete