In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, October 12, 2024

Early Morning Peace

We had some fog this morning. I was out on the porch before sunrise, drinking some coffee, and remembering the aftermath of Hurricane Rita came to my mind. When I finally almost made it home, after a long out of the way trip to avoid road blocks, the heavy fog gave the area a surreal feel. 

Power lines were down. I ran over a few, and went around trees partially blocking the road to my house. The things I saw on the main highway, and what I was driving through, gave me a sense of foreboding. I couldn't see my house until I pulled into the driveway. A quick glance showed some pine trees laying across the drive. Looking toward my house, all I could see were a few shingles missing, and a lot of leaf debris scattered in the yard. I got out of my truck, and walked around to the back. A  big oak had split, but the large branch fell away from my house. Further inspection yielded no other damage, and a look in the house showed no water had made its way through the damaged roof. It was already hot, and the day would bring brutal heat with high humidity. 

I was relieved, but the light tower/generator I was pulling needed to be placed, and the trees removed from the drive. It led to a long day, and the installation of a window unit in the bedroom where my wife, and I, slept. I had extension cords ran, but hooking up the well pump would have to wait until tomorrow, when I hoped I could find the correct plug for the generator. The sun faded quickly, The darkness was complete after the sun set. The entire area was without power, and it took long minutes in the dark outside to adjust to the darkness. Even then, little could be seen. 

My sleep was fitful. I had my gun handy, but the drone of the light tower, and air conditioner, kept me from hearing anything outside. My mind raced with thoughts of people coming to rob, or more, and the darkness in the house was complete. Holding my hand to my face revealed nothing. It was as though we were in a cave, and I felt a little claustrophobic. In that type of darkness, it closes around you, until you feel as though you're in a casket. 

This morning was far different. The temperature was in the fifties, the cold dampness permeated the morning, and everything felt right. The coffee was good, and crow of roosters broke the quiet. Eventually the fog lifted, and the warm sun broke the chill. It was the dawn of a beautiful morning, and I feel blessed to have peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment