In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, October 27, 2018

Dueling Roosters

I woke early. After the Keurig spat me out a fresh cup of coffee, I eased onto the porch to enjoy the time before sunrise.

It was quiet. The crisp air was heavy with dew, and the dark sky was filled with the constellations soon to be seen in the early evening. I sat, and sipped my coffee.

As I sat, I listened for the usual distant dog bark. There was none to be heard, and even the night creatures were silent in the cold air. It was unusually quiet, even for mid Fall, which added a deeper calm to an already calm morning.

I sat for a few minutes before a rooster crowed in the distance. The crow was almost immediately answered by another crow in another direction. Soon another followed, and another, and finally a high pitched crow; like a distant squeak from a juvenile banty; an answer, or maybe a direct reaction to what the rooster considered a threat.

The duel went on for a few minutes. One would crow, then the answers would soon follow. The crows came from all directions, and pinpointed which neighbors had chickens.

I counted six separate crows before the dueling roosters finally settled down; obviously content in their greeting of the morning. It was something to hear, and made the early morning even more special.

1 comment: