In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Best Way to Cook Bacon

Years ago, after being spattered by bacon grease, and having to stand at the stove, I started cooking it on low heat. It cooks slower, but the bacon cooks evenly, and there is no spatter. It's not generally done this way by most people, and I've been criticized for using this method, but it gives me time to sip coffee, avoid the constant turning, and is a more enjoyable to me. Breakfast on the weekend should be pleasant, and not rushed. 

11 comments:

  1. We do it (cook bacon) in the oven on cookie sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cooked it in the oven, but that sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  2. I use a cast iron pot. Start with leftover bacon grease, heat it up, toss in the bacon, cook to desired crispiness, scoop out, now you've got more bacon grease to use...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beans - that sounds as close to 'perpetual motion' as anything I've heard of ;-)

      Delete
    2. My mother did the same. She'd use the bacon grease to flavor food.

      Delete
  3. I prefer the slow stove method as well. I save the grease in a 1 C glass measuring cup in the fridge until it's full, then into the freezer in a ziploc bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grease adds flavor to any kind of bean. That, and makes some good tortillas.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The only problem I've found is cooking thick cut bacon too long. The lean gets like jerky.

      Delete
  5. not sure about this, but any post with 'bacon' in the title will get more attention.

    ReplyDelete