In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Every Summer is Different

Rain prevented yard work two weekends ago. It happens and I anticipate it every summer; however, I didn't expect the spider invasion.

My agreement with the orb spiders is I will leave them alone; as long as they don't build a web I can walk through, think I might walk through, is too close to where I might walk through, or hidden in a place I could venture without looking. They didn't follow the rules, so it was a spider massacre.

I sprayed at least thirty. How they managed to get out of hand in such a short period of time is beyond me. I know there will be more this weekend. Those higher in the trees will venture down lower and it will be on again.

I'm ready. I have a full sprayer and plenty of insecticide.

2 comments:

  1. One of the quickest ways to get a full grown man to scream like a little girl is to have him walk through an orb weavers web.

    We have some pretty good sized barn spiders around here. And like you, I generally don't bother them as long as they 1, stay outdoors, and 2, don't build their web where I can walk into it.

    Orb weavers are fascinating to watch. They can put up a very intricate web in a very short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't had the warblers this year. Last year, there were three and they kept the spiders to a minimum. Usually, only a migrating bird will arrive during late summer and decimate the population. One day, a half hundred spider high in the trees. The next, nothing but webs with a huge hole in the middle.

      Delete