In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, February 23, 2018

You Get Two Seconds

We have a regular phone in the office at work, with multiple lines, and a receiver for slamming a phone. I get the opportunity most days, while in the office, to slam the phone down on telemarketers or robo-calls.

I'm fair with my answering. Everyone gets two seconds. With telemarketers, I have the satisfaction of knowing they're wasting their time, and need to move on. With robo-calls, the lack of a request is the tell-tale that notifies me of a computer generated call.

With robo-calls, if you announce the name of the company again, someone will pick up the phone, or a recorded message will start, so I never say the company name but once.

I've startled people before that either were distracted, or intimidated when I answered. They use up their two seconds without responding, so I hang up. They usually call right back, but I've heard some wait awhile before calling again, in the hope someone else will answer.

When the secretary answers the phone, she has a unique way of dealing with telemarketers. When the ask for someone, she puts them on hold, and lets them wait for a long, long time. If they're still there, when she finally returns and replies: "They're not answering their page. Would you like to leave a message?" they usually respond with "No, I'll call back later." or hang up.

I worked as a telemarketer years ago, while between jobs. It was brutal, and hard to not let being jerked around by people to become personal. Maybe that's why I wasn't a good telemarketer. Those that were, had thick skins, ignored those that slammed the phone, and immediately dialed another number. I'm guessing they made a living doing what they do. With me, expecting a decent paycheck was futile. If I did get orders, most of them were people using bogus credit card numbers to have their fun with telemarketers.

So, I understand how it's tough job to be a telemarketer, but still know slamming the phone is the best way of just getting rid of them. If they're good, they'll just go on. If not, they'll need Xanax and blood pressure medication.

4 comments:

  1. There's a lack of compassion or empathy required to be a good telemarketer (or a car salesman.) To separate people from their money knowing they really can't afford it, for something they don't need or exceeds their needs, just to like one's own pocket.

    You not liking that job just goes to show you have compassion and are a (relatively at the least) decent person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were selling tools for contractors. After looking at samples, I realized they were basically crap, and I knew the entire endeavor was based on lies.

      Delete
  2. I had a job as a convenience store clerk once. It drove me to drink so it had it's upside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never worked retail...it's probably best I didn't.

      Delete