In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, November 12, 2018

Deceitful?

Local universities are offering a degree in process operations. Basically, it's a degree to run the multiple units in the local petrochemical facilities. From the number of conversations I've had, it appears there are thousands pursuing this degree, but I have the feeling the supply far exceeds the demand.

From my experience, this is one of those degrees pushed by the universities for revenue, and they are deceitful in how they present the degree. I might be wrong, but I don't see how there are that many positions to fill, since they are sought by many, the positions don't open often, except for attrition, and the constant improvements in automation eliminate the need for many.

Time will tell, but I think this is another one of those money making schemes for universities, and they really don't care about the final outcome. They get their money, those that pay for the degree are S.O.L. and there's really nothing they can do except chalk it up as a bad decision.

2 comments:

  1. Not deceitful. The STEM programs offer real education and require hard work, discipline and rigour to complete. Unlike say, the fake liberal arts programs that allow students to party their way to a degree.

    We have a labour glut. Why we are still allowing immigration astounds me. We can’t find good jobs for our own kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down in my neck of the woods, there are tons of Hispanic workers that speak poor English, and making very good wages. Are they legal? They're supposed to be, but I have a feeling the demand for workers is keeping some people from looking very close at documentation.

      Delete