In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, June 7, 2024

Watching the Purple Martins

 About two years ago, when the martin house pole broke in a strong wind, it was completely cleaned, and relocated to a new location. I wasn't expecting any purple, since the starlings, and sparrows, had taken it for their own, but there was always the chance they would come. They did.

The martins are something watch. They eat insects, and the height they fly determines where the insects are found. Some days they fly at around 100 feet. On others, they skim right above the grass. Either way, they can fly for hours in large lazy circles, avoiding each other, and gorging on insects. 

I like them best when they are skimming right above the ground, and pass by at eye level as they feed. With the pond available, they skim the surface for water, and go back to their search for food. Mosquitoes are one of their favorites, and regardless of how many they eat, it never seems to make a dent in the swarms. It's their buffet, and their pleasant chirps fill the air in the quiet before sundown.

The martins arrive in early Spring, and leave in the early Fall for their trip to South America. Their arrival, like their departure, is abrupt. One day there are many, in a few days the number drastically decreases, and they're soon gone. I miss them. Their beautiful plumage is brilliant in the setting sun, and watching them is a pleasant way to spend the evening on the porch.


 

4 comments:

  1. I've kept Bluebird nest boxes for years wherever I can put them up. Always have trouble with starlings, and sparrows, but they are invasive species & are fair game & I remove them soon as I see them around a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of starlings, but they haven't had a chance this year with the martin box. The martins filled it quickly, and have taken it back.

      Delete
  2. I have a mated pair of bluebirds in the front yard, and a pair of cardinals in the back yard. No purple martins... sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where they nest, but we have a mated pair of bluebirds that bring at least one new young bluebird into the world every year.

      Delete