In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, August 9, 2024

How Things Don't Change

I was perusing a news site, and found an article explaining how people coped during the Great Depression. It showed how the ten things listed could help those in today's economy. It was amazing. All the things my family did while I was being raised were detailed. Of course, my grandparents, and parents, lived through that time, and the items detailed were just part of their every day life. They grew some of their own food. Mended clothes. Canned things from their garden and fruit trees. Had meals that stretched meat, such as beans and spaghetti. Didn't waste what they had. Were frugal with purchases and hunted for bargains. Otherwise, things that make sense to me, but many today wouldn't have a clue. 

I don't know about all people, but just having an article like that should alert everyone how the economy sucks. Those days should be gone forever, yet here we are - almost 100 years later - facing them again.

4 comments:

  1. yep, if we didn't raise it we didn't eat it. we went to town once a month(only seven miles away), paid bills in cash, went to the grocery for sugar,coffee and tp and that's about it. granpa raised tobacco for cash, with an old beat to hell tractor, and a few cows. never owned a truck. but somehow he raised a family and half of their families on that patch of hard red dirt. and died much too young, lord bless him. what people call prepping today was just how we lived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To add insult to injury, WW2 brought rationing. Tires were mostly unavailable, so driving "may-pops" was the rule, and tube patch kits a necessity.

      Delete
    2. my great-grandmother saved her ration cards from ww1, shoe boxes full of them. even cancelled postage stamps. walking thru her house was like visiting a museum. but then, she never had an indoor toilet, thought it was unsanitary. had a hand pump in the kitchen for water. used to take me out in the woods to gather roots n such for her, she was in her 90's then. wish i'd paid better attention.

      Delete
  2. The coming collapse will likely make the Great Depression look like a minor annoyance. And the skills that allowed Americans to survive that are mostly beyond the capacity of most people now. It's going to be ugly, very ugly.

    ReplyDelete