In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Line Crews

I've been watching television and listening to the radio about the power outages due to the thunderstorms over the weekend. There's a lot of complaining and empty promises about returning the grid to full function, but there's no mention of the line crews.

I watched these crews after our local hurricanes. They'd start at first light and work until dark, if not after dark. They'd cut limbs, install new poles, replace cables, install new transformers and do so with little or no credit for their work, which was in brutal conditions. They'd get no break from the heat, were working in dangerous conditions and in some situations, lived in what amounted to little more than tent cities, since the hotels were filled with the dignitaries and other useless pogues, including the media.

So, thank them when you can, don't ask them stupid questions and stay out of their way. They're working their asses off, in spite of the daily grief they get from those that have nothing to do without the electricity they restore. They're a great bunch of people and craftsmen that deserve credit for their efforts.

4 comments:

  1. I was ready to scream when I saw the idiot mayor of DC complaining that the response was "unacceptable"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people don't have a clue on what it takes to restore power. The small poles and wires are bad, but the main transmission cables can stretch through areas that only helicopters can reach. Every step is tedious, involves special knowledge and is full of danger.

    Line crews have my respect. They're more than important and should be recognized for their efforts; not demonized by political ass wipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, in many cases, the line crews are made up of guys (and women) recruited from their regular jobs states away...I know many electrical co-ops send their crews to hard-hit areas to try to restore the power faster. That can't be fun or easy to do, traveling far from home to try and get people's power back.

    And yes, on the 'stay out of the way of people doing the hard and dangerous work.'

    Y'all in the eastern half of the country have my sympathy; I whine about it being "too hot" when it gets up to 80 in my house; I can't imagine trying to deal with 100+ temperatures and no power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen crews in the middle of night, in sprinkling rain and on dark roads in the middle of nowhere restoring power to a handful of people. I's sure they're probably getting overtime, but I know I'd want overtime if I had to leave my warm bed in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete