In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, July 9, 2012

Now That All The Money Is Gone...

...what do you think will happen next?

What am I writing about? Municipal funds in the small town I grew up in. I can see the terrible condition of my mother's street, which is as bad as many in the city, yet the city is struggling for cash, even after decades of collecting taxes.

So, where did the money go? From my vantage point, I'd venture to think a substantial amount was slushed for salaries and benefits; it definitely didn't go for improvements. Water and sewer have a fee attached, so I'll leave that out of the costs. So, where did the money go?

Incompetence ate up a huge chunk. You have that with bureaucracies and the other crap associated with money grubbing politicians and the people that cities hire to run their services. You don''t have to be real good at cutting costs. All you have to do is be able to juggle, blow smoke and made appearances at City Hall with explanations that are full of BS, which sounds good to those willing to sit through such fiascos.

Now what's going to happen? There is no money; the tax base has substantially eroded thanks to the crappy efforts of the current and past administrations; the streets are horrible; too many houses are dilapidated; there is absolutely nothing to attract any new money or citizens and the future looks bleak.

Raising taxes will only accelerate the end. Panhandling for grants will only lead to more waste and the problems won't be solved. It's the halfway point to the final end.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd guess the condition of my hometown isn't an isolated incident. The great flight to the shining cities for success led to corruption. People had faith their taxes would be handled with great care and wisdom. Instead, the money was squandered and the shining cities lie in disrepair. Those that can leave, do so as soon as possible. Those that are stuck, share their misery and have little hope in opportunities. Businesses stay away from blight and the crime associated with a desperate populace.

What does the future hold? Eventually, the only solution is an avoidance of depending on any government entity or trusting it will make wise choices. Governments are corrupt and always will be. The most limited government is the best. The less money and power results in more freedom and the opportunities for financial gain increase when there is less to be siphoned away from the producers.

As far as my hometown? I don't see a very bright future. A pass through the town is all that's needed to see there is little left and nothing more coming. Eventually, even those that depend on the taxpayers will leave, since there will be nothing to offer. Industry will swallow all that's left and the history will fade away forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment