In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, March 9, 2018

Advice for Young Folks

I can think of dozens of things young folks should do, or learn. I'll list a few, and invite others to add, or expound, in the comments. The list applies to both sexes.

- Learn how to read, and use a tape measure.
- Cut a board to length with a handsaw. Practice, until you can follow the line. Then do the same with an electric saw.
- Buy a claw hammer, and drive some nails.
- Bake a cake
- Cook a full meal for your family.
- Write, even if it's only a journal. Doing so helps you clarify your thoughts, leads to better writing skills, and gives you reference for when you're older.
- Help with taking care of someone older. It gives you insight of what you will face.
- Learn to drive. After you've driven, go back and read the manual you used before your written test.
- Learn to fish.
- Learn to hunt
- Learn how to clean, and prepare game.
- Learn to shoot, and own a firearm. ..........

10 comments:

  1. I can do most of those things except fish! Fish look up out of the water and see me standing there with my pole and they just laugh! No wait! you didn't say catching fish! I'm good......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to fish, but I wasn't one of those sports fishermen. I fished for meat, and my rods were the stoutest, with the heaviest line. I didn't want to spend 30 minutes playing with the fish, while hoping my line wouldn't break.

      Delete
  2. Balance a checkbook.
    Learn to live on 80% of your take home income. Put the other 20% in savings.
    Learn how to sew pants, or a shirt, and how to mend.
    How to read a map, then how to use a compass.
    How to sharpen a knife by hand, not with an electric grinder.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good advice. Simple to accomplish, but the importance is only realized after such things are done.

      Delete
  3. suz!
    checkbook balancing. number one.
    had friend who sat down once a month and went over the statement and the checkbook to make sure all was correct.
    there is a name for it , which i don't remember, but i had never heard of it.

    when you've learnt to read, then read, and not junk reading, real literature and craft books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good advice; especially about reading.

      Delete
  4. Great lists. I would add,
    learn how to change a flat tire
    learn how to do your own taxes (a light bulb might go off. LED, of course)
    learn how to play a musical instrument (Not as pragmatic as learning to use a hammer or screw driver, but... I never did but wish I had)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be good for everyone to learn to work on their brakes, but that's too much for many.

      Delete
  5. Get a level and learn how to use it. Before building any thing put the level on the table, floor, or bench that you will be using to make sure it's level first or your project will be as crooked as the floor. (this principle works in other things too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Levels guarantee a better fit, and the ability to keep the correct dimensions. Unfortunately, many don't realize the importance, and their errors lead to too much extra work.

    ReplyDelete