In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Hot For the Near Future

It's June here, so with dry weather normally the forecast, the heat increases. We've been around 95 every afternoon, but the temperature is supposed to rise a little over the next five days. Heat indices will be in the 103 to 107 range, so early mornings, and late afternoons, are the time to do anything outside. 

I used to work in these temperatures. I didn't care much for it, but with bills to pay, I really didn't have much choice. I suppose I could have followed a different career, but it is what it is, and that was how I spent my working years. 

Last week, I took a short trip with my wife to the Hill Country. It was a spur of the moment thing, so we didn't have plans. We didn't leave until after noon, so the first night was spent in Gonzales, Texas, which is best described as a huge piece of Texas history. After that, we wandered through various areas that skirt the cesspools of Austin and San Antonio. No disrespect for those in these areas that have fallen off the cliff, but liking to live there must be some indication of a mental disorder.

 Around the cities, you can find some of the people that make Texas great. Time hasn't destroyed the ethics created by hard work, and with water being more of a precious resources, only those with large sums of money are migrating, and ruining local economies. Property value increases really hurt those that are not in the same income bracket of those that can afford the extreme costs of a water well. That, and land near rivers is too costly for middle income earners. Over time, the rivers will only be the luxury of the rich, and the common folks can go suck eggs. 

Anyway, after three days, we took our time going home, and spent a night in Brenham to enjoy one more evening on the road. It wasn't an expensive trip, and with our small vehicle, gas wasn't a huge expense. We enjoyed the back roads, and marveled at the scenery. 

2 comments:

  1. The next time you make a trip in my direction, give me a heads up, and drop in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete