In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, July 25, 2024

A Conversation Brings Back a Memory

 My wife, and I, were sitting on the porch, drinking coffee with my sister-in-law, and discussing how certain things were not negotiable when we were young, and how one certain look from our mothers could curtail any thoughts of whining. Going beyond whining could lead to things worse.

My sister-in-law told of a story of saying something inappropriate to her mother, who grabbed her by the hair and pulled her from their car to show her dissatisfaction with her daughter.  A spanking with a belt followed, which always involved a short wait, since her mother wanted her anger to subside before the belt wailed. She then asked her if she understood why she was spanked. My sister-in-law said that was worse than the spanking. She knew she had to confess to her error in judgement, and admit the failure. 

After we all laughed about the event, I told them of my error in judgement when I was about sixteen years old.  

I was sitting at the kitchen table, my mother was behind me and asked me a question. I don't remember the question, but I do remember the answer, which was not a good thing to do: "It's none of your business."

The next thing I knew, I was levitating. My butt was now a few inches above the chair, I was moving to the right, and the power that caused the levitation was suddenly released. Falling on my butt on the floor, registering the pain, and realizing there was a new pain, I turned to look at my mother standing over me with a handful of hair. I don't remember what happened afterward, but I do know - as I look back in time - it took a tremendous amount of strength to pick me up by my hair with one hand and throw me to the floor. Her message was clear, and I probably gave her an appropriate answer at that time. 

My wife, after laughing with my sister-in-law about my memory, stated: "You should write this down", which I did. Now both events are in writing for future reference by anyone that cares.

12 comments:

  1. There are lots of things in a 16 year-olds life that are none of his parents business. No offense intended but I think your mom was wrong. Most good parents are wrong at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was probably some alcohol involved, but that's a story all by itself, which I probably will leave in the past.

      Delete
  2. i got backhanded out of the chair. back talk = back hand, got it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother, 16, ran from my mom when she chased him with a flyswatter. Me, 9, tried it. Not good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flyswatter is very similar to a coat hanger.

      Delete
    2. lol, one hot evening when i was 10 or so, we were all sitting out in the yard trying to catch a breeze and drinking iced teas. my mom leaned her chair back on the back legs. she often told me not to do that, after she tipped me over in the floor, so i tipped her over. she was not amused, grabbed the flyswatter that was always close at hand and i took off running and giggling. that made her madder. then she fell down, i ran for my life. only grandpa could save me, as soon as he could catch his breath from laughing his guts out. that was a close one.

      Delete
    3. Parents have a tendency to become angry when they're given the same treatment.

      Delete
  4. I think we've ALL done that at least once...with similar results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that point where we start realizing the distinctions of adulthood.

      Delete
  5. My Grandmother had a peach tree in her back yard.
    "Go fetch me a switch"
    "No, that one is too thick. Get a thinner one."
    The anticipation was troubling. The thin switch was memorable.
    And NFO is correct... our generation faced similar incidents everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thinner the switch, the deeper the whelp.

      Delete