In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, July 8, 2024

Beryl Took A Closer Path

Beryl became a category 1 hurricane before landfall near Matagorda, Texas. I've been there. It's on the Gulf Coast, the Colorado River flows next to the road to the beach, and it's not very high above sea level. If I had to guess, much of it was inundated by the surge, and it's not a pleasant place to be this morning. 

Locally, the wind is a steady 25 mph, with gusts to 35 mph. Rain is constant, although the heavier bands seem to be over in Houston. The eye at 6:40 am is over Bay City, which is about 80 miles southwest of Houston. At the current path, the eye will be closer to Houston in a few hours, and the wind will add problems beside the torrential rain. 

I'm judging the center of the storm will stay about 120 miles away from my location, and the rain bands have the potential to cause some heavy rain during the day. How much is a guess, but it could be up to 10 inches if the bands train over my area. 

The eye at 2:00 am wasn't as developed as it now. It's heading toward IH-10. Driving between Houston, and San Antonio will be treacherous, and I wouldn't recommend driving it to anyone. 

That's the way it goes. Initial forecast can be off by hundreds of miles, and what looks as though it will only lead to a few showers leads to day of really bad weather. At least it wasn't a direct hit to the south. 

2 comments:

  1. hard to forecast when the manipulator flights are going at it. they showed in florida year before last that they could guide it left and right. looks like they are trying to drown texas now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a while, but I don't miss hurricane season.

    ReplyDelete