In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It Was a Long Time Ago

I was a fan of the band "Yes" back in the early 70's. As time progressed, and they came out with new albums, the following song became a favorite.

I don't remember the exact date, or the exact event, but it was a cold winter night, I was with a girlfriend, we were driving around, just killing time, when the song came on the radio. It was far from the typical be-bop crap on the AM, which was filled with the increasing cacophony of disco crap, which didn't appeal to me at all. I was mesmerized.

As was all music on the radio, the wish to hear a song again was usually unfulfilled, especially with FM stations. FM was more distinguished, the disc jockeys were more laid back and there was an unspoken rule to have a great variety of music to hear, so your musical horizon could expand.

Anyway, I still like the song and can listen to it multiple times without hesitating.



16 comments:

  1. I had to come back to this while watching the vid on full screen.
    That was released in 1972.
    42 years ago... 42....years......ago.
    Do you think we will listen to any of the crap that's out today in 42 years?

    Beyonce? Bieber? Cyrus? Minaj? you get my drift :)

    Again, thanks... That video you posted was absolutely phenomenal.

    I put up the 1994 live version of Dark Side of The Moon earlier.
    That's one of my favorites :)

    Jess, since you're a Yes fan, have you seen this one?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riE2xHDgODg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll watch, when I'm off work this evening.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jess;

    I saw this link from Irish, and I am a Yes fan. I became a fan with their early 80's album 90125. I have since them bought their earlier stuff and their later offerings. They have a wide range of musical sound, almost a wall of music if you would. Very enjoyable...especially on a road trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was such a big fan, after I heard the "Yes" album, I was super critical of Rick Wakeman's work, after he replaced Tony Kaye. I felt the original sound was corrupted,.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in the day, Yes was just too far out there for me, much like the Moody Blues. I was way more into pop music like "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies.

    Or better yet "Yummy Yummy Yummy I got Love in My Tummy" by Tommy Roe. Now THAT was music.

    Sort of....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to listen to "Beaker Street" late at night. Clyde Clifford would play a huge range of music, which was seldom heard on the pop stations.

      Since the station was hundreds of miles away, in Arkansas, the quality was poor; even for AM. Still, we listened.

      Delete
  5. Nicely done. Irish sent me.
    Now I need to queue up "Yours is no Disgrace" and "Starship Trooper"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites is "The Clap", which is an acoustic solo by Steve Howe.

      Delete
  6. A few weeks ago my brother and I put together lists of our 10-all time favourite songs. Besides "And You And I", my list also contains "Heart of the Sunrise" from Fragile, "It Can Happen" from 90125, Sides 1 & 2 of Tales From Topographic Oceans and The Yes Album. I think the rest of the list had some Mozart (the 39th Symphony), some Marshall Tucker Band, Johnny Cash, etc. but no one else had more than one song. Whatever arrangement they've presented themselves with over the years, Yes continues to be one of the greatest musical groups of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, one of my favorite bands. Nice version of 'And You And I'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best, and very close to the original arrangement.

      Delete
  8. I used to listen to beaker street also... and anything that yes played I liked..what fun riding around talking and listening to great music . of course we had to have something to enhance our thinking .. great great times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beaker Street recording are still on the web I'm told. I need to look them up.

      Delete