In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Jury Duty

I received a summons for jury duty the other day. In the past, I've served on one jury, and been called a few times. Since I'm retired, have no work reason for not going to serve. 

I know many people don't like jury duty, but it's an interesting process, and allows some time to observe the slow, grinding wheels of justice. From what court the summons is for, it will be for a criminal trial, and those can be eye opening. The only trial I was a juror was a criminal trial, and the responses by the jurors in the jury room were sometimes astounding.

5 comments:

  1. I have never served on a jury, and have no desire to do so. The last time I was sent a notice, I went to the jury pool, filled out their questionnaire, and was immediately sent home by the judge. He apparently did not like my answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I served as jury foreman on a criminal trial. The juror's lack of understanding law, and evidence, was astounding and frustrating.

      Delete
  2. If you don't want to serve, do what I did the 8th (really) time I was called. Go to the Fully Informed Jury Association website (Fiji.com?), print our 11 copies of their brochure and fold up a neat stack that will fit very visibly in your shirt pocket. If anyone asks explain that you plan to hand them out to the other members of any jury you get picked for.

    Their story is to explain the longstanding right of jury nullification, a perfectly legal action judges and prosecutors HATE. I haven't been called since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was working, I didn't have time for jury duty. Now that I'm retired, I like the opportunity, and know how important it is to help inform a jury of their responsibilities.

      Delete
  3. Called, never served. Sat. This college frat boy stole $40 of steaks while drunk. Why trial??? No idea.

    ReplyDelete