In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Late Night Quiet

Last night, just before I went to bed, I thought I heard thunder. A peek at the radar showed a broken line of thunderstorm to the northwest, so I went to the porch to watch. 

It was quiet; really quiet. As I looked to the northwest, a flash of lightning lit the sky. I started counting, which allows determining the distance, if there are no other bolts. I was at sixty seconds when I heard the low rumble. This is a new record for me. Most storms have too much lightning to determine an accurate distance. At twelve miles, and with any background noise, I wouldn't have been able to hear it.

After a short time, more bolts occurred, but within thirty minutes, the storms dissipated. Radar only showed a line of light rain, which stayed above my location. The front stalled, but this morning, it was reinforced by a stronger front helped by Hurricane Helene's winds. This will bring us cool mornings, and bearable afternoons. It's a good start, and I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures.

4 comments:

  1. Cooler here. Soon enough, no more AC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My a/c is always ready to go during the Winter. We can get days in December where it's needed.

      Delete
  2. Nights like those are to be treasured.
    It's too bad they cannot be stored and reused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice. Some mornings are miserable, and having a backup would make them better.

      Delete