In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Sarcasm and Cluelessness

I was standing at the checkout line, almost through with the transaction, when the cashier asked her friend cashier why the police were outside.

The friend commented about someone - who they described by name - parked in a handicap spot and the police were there to write a ticket.

Sometimes, my mind assimilates little information and arrives at conclusions at a pace that even astounds me. From the brief conversation, I surmised they both knew the culprit, the friend cashier knew who called the police and the "evil" perpetrator would receive the punishment they both felt was necessary. (around $150 in my neck of the woods.)

My blood simmered and my quick comment was: "I'm so relieved they caught all the burglars, murderers and thieves, and now have time to write tickets for parking in handicap spots."

The friend cashier commented on how good the local police were, which indicated she either ignored my sarcasm, or it went over her head by a distance of at least four feet.

I just walked from the store, without any more comments.

Is it just me, or does the collection of fines for parking in a handicap spot seem to be a flagrant misuse of public employees for collecting revenue? Isn't there something more important for the police to concentrate their efforts? Do they take the money and buy wheelchairs for the unfortunate, or help with the expenses of those that have limitations?

I think it's crap. The ADA and other government intrusions into what was once the responsibility of the public is total bullshit. I doubt they'd be so willing to cause so much economic hardships if they had to pay for the handicap construction out of their salaries.


10 comments:

  1. I never thought much about handicapped spots except not to park there. Now, they are important to me. However, people park in the handicapped spots all the time, and no one gets a ticket around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the store managers could solve such problems by announcing over their public address the license number, the car description and a request the sorry sack of crap that parked in the spot go move their car.

      Delete
  2. I have no problem with people getting ticketed for illegally parking in handicapped spots. But I do have a problem with the ADA overreaching in other areas, particularly their expansions on who or what may be considered "disabled".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've built a few dozen handicap ramps that only allow access to open fields or vacant lots. They're never used, but required by municipal contracts. I think the money could be better spent on something else...or not at all.

      Delete
  3. Handing out tickets is an easier way of filling their daily crime quota. Catch proper criminals? noooo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't envision the legal necessity of special parking for a few reasons, but mostly for the huge waste required for administration of regulations. Bureaucrats are not my favorite people and disability regulations lead to way too many of such critters.

      Delete
  4. One time late at night, I stopped at the local convience store and did not notice that I had parked in a handicap spot. I went in and the clerk told me, "You will have to move your truck out of the handicap spot before I serve you."

    At first I was indignent as it would only take a moment to conclude my purchase and besides that, what handicap person would be there at this hour?

    Then I realized that the clerk was absolutely right, not only in how she dealt with me, but also that if I wasn't handicapped, then I had no right to park there.

    I would have been especially pissed if she had instead just called the police to ticket me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem. From how one of the cashier's was acting, they knew who parked in the spot and someone - maybe them - called the police so they could write the ticket.

      If it was a friend, they could have said that was their intention, and given them a chance to move their car.

      If it was a vindictive act, they're a chicken shit. The local fine is around $150, which buys gasoline for most people during a month.

      I really dislike the whole "there should be a law" concept. Those that can buy their way out of a ticket don't care. Those that can't, are forced to give over money to a government entity that can spend it any way they like.

      Meanwhile, those that are disabled remain so and nothing really changes.

      Delete
  5. "Run to the store, get me some cigs. Take my car, it has the sticker."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know someone that did that with their father-in-law's sticker. He was far past the point of driving, but still useful.

      Delete