In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, January 10, 2013

For Those That Don't Know

This is the second amendment to the Constitution:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Read it carefully. It's written in English and the words are clear. 

Now, there are - and always have been - discussions about the work "militia" and the meaning in context. Personally, I don't think that's important. The rest of the amendment: "...the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..." has no wiggle room or need any interpretation. 

So, if you wonder about your right to keep and bear arms, wonder no longer. It's written in the Constitution as a right that can never be removed unless 2/3 majorities of both houses of Congress pass the amendment and 3/4 of the states pass the amendment. I don't see that happening. 

Another thing: when it comes to amendments to the Constitution, the President is left out of the process. Otherwise, the current President can flex his muscles, stick his tongue out at his constituents and demand changes to gun laws, but all he has is an opinion. He has no power, unless you allow it. I'm thinking anyone reading this is smarter than that. If not, ask some questions and I'll help you out. 

7 comments:

  1. ‎"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    It's in English.
    It would take a lawyer to twist that into: "Take their guns away." or
    "Don't let them buy guns."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lawyers aren't nearly as bad as lawyers that wear black robes. Judicial activism dances along the fence of treason, in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The similarities of current events to those that led to the creation of the United States should be a major concern for citizens. The British government wanted their subjects to keep on giving them everything they wanted, do so without complaint and punish anyone in their way....just like the current administration.

      Delete
    2. That goes on FB Rita. Especially after my discussion with Don about it.

      Delete
  3. I was talking to Stud about this today. I said "But, does it really matter what Obama wants? I mean, it has to pass through a lot of other people first."

    Then, for the first time in my life, I was happy for lobbyists filling the pockets of our legislatures. Why? Because the NRA knows whose pockets to line.

    Lord. What IS our country coming to when even I start thinking that payoffs are a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete