In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog:

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

Friday, July 5, 2013

I Didn't Lose a Finger

After reading all the firework mishap stories, and this post at "An Ordinary Life", I reflected on a few occurrences of my youth.

I stepped on quite a few sparkler rods. You avoid them when they're red hot, but invariably step on one that is not visibly glowing.

While trying to hold a roman candle, due to my grip, it fired into my hand. It hurt like hell and took a long time to heal.

I had a substantial amount of bottle rocket misfires, including those that were from the pipe we were using as a launcher. (We didn't think it was pointed that way. Dammit, we were having a war and the fury of battle is confusing.)

While riding in a friend's 55 Chevy, his effort to throw a firecracker from the window led to it sailing through mine, into my bag of fireworks and it seemed to take forever for us to stop.

I had a firecracker go off in my hand. If you've never had this happen, the explosion immediately opens your hand, make it numb for a few moments and the eventual pain is like when you hit your finger with a hammer.

I didn't lose a finger, so everything was good.

Fireworks are part of growing up. So if you're concerned, get over it. Even if you outlaw firecrackers, young folks will figure out a way to blow things up without your guidance. Buy them, teach safe handling and a keep  a first aid kit handy.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to all that. Seems I had about the same exact experiences with those unsafe and apparently insane fireworks in my youth.

    All the old men of my youth who were missing fingers lost them in industrial accidents, never from fireworks.