In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bolide or Satellite?

I was outside and something caught my attention. Looking to the south, I saw what looked like a fireworks rocket about 15 degrees above the southern horizon. Within a few seconds, it grew larger; it now appeared to be the size of about 1/10 of the size of a full moon. It was a bright orange, and lasted about two seconds longer. I figured a thin band of cirrostratus clouds were obscuring the object, or it went back into space. It was small, either due to distance, size, or both.

I continued watching. Looking overhead, it reappeared and it was now obvious it was falling apart. Several pieces broke away and continued streaking across the sky. The colors of the objects ranged from orange to white. Some almost immediately burned out and the speeds were random.

Eventually, only one object was left, which continued to the north and eventually disappeared; a bright orange; about 20 degrees above the northern horizon. After a long time, I heard some dim thuds, which were the objects breaking the sound barrier.

Bolide? I don't think so. I'm thinking a satellite; probably military or foreign, considering the polar orbit and various colors of objects burning up in the atmosphere. I'm betting we'll never know.

This happened at a little after 3:00 am on 2-28-2013, in case someone is interested.

update:  It was a Chinese rocket. My suspicion of a man made object was confirmed. If you've never seen such a thing, it's damn interesting to watch.

4 comments:

  1. I about ran over a car once when a burning ball went streaking across the sky in broad daylight. I'd been following them, and they decided right in the middle of the highway was a great place to stop and observe.

    I did not think so highly of their ingenious plan, since it about got them smashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People lose their presence of mind when such things happen. It's like during a tornado, when everybody stops for a gander.

      Delete
  2. I've never seen anything like that. I don't WANT to see anything like that. And if I did, I'd be hesitant to mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After I stood outside for awhile, and realized I was almost under the path of the rocket, I realized any debris that made it to the ground would have the possibility of hitting me where I stood.

      I quickly went inside, although I wonder if the building could stand the force of a big piece of anything that fell from outer space.

      Delete