In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, June 1, 2012

Wood Fake

Way back when, in 1917, the Army Air Service built a base in a rural area way south of Houston, Texas. As a training base, it went through different phases, including almost closing before WW2. During that war, the base was upgraded and continued in training aviators. In the 60's, NASA adopted the base for astronaut training, which is when I became aware of its existence. The astronauts, while training, would escape from the crowded air space around Houston and fly over my hometown. The even broke the sound barrier on one day, which led to some angry complaints, grounding of a few astronauts and a thrill only a child can understand. A flight of jets, at low altitude, breaking the sound barrier, while being watched, can only be described as a once a lifetime event. I still think it was a reaction to a bet, friendship, dare or retribution for some infraction by a local.

NASA built the Manned Space Center, which eventually was renamed the Johnson Space Center. The workers, scientists, engineers and astronauts lived in the adjacent community of Clear Lake. During the moon missions, it was an idylic place full of the then celebrity astronauts and those that took part in one of the greatest efforts of the human race. Not only was the community proud, the entire nation was proud of these pioneers of the next frontier. No space flight was possible without these people and the facility.

At the facility is a museum. I toured it when I was teenager. Besides the space capsules, rockets, and equipment on display, there were moon rocks, which I remember as though I looked at them this morning. A fine place to display the miracles of the space age, you would think one of the shuttles would finally come to rest at this location, but that's not the situation. The facility will get a shuttle made from wood, which I consider an insult to the fine people that made it all happen.

To those instrumental in this politically motivated travesty of condescension, go suck an egg. I hope your political career ends due to your decision. If not, I hope someone throws rotten vegetables at you daily until you can't live a normal life.

Bastards!

                      A real shuttle, in case you bastards don't have a photo.

3 comments:

  1. Like you, my husband and I got fairly pissed over the odd relocation of the shuttles. Money talks...and that's the only language the bureaucrats understand.

    And I doubt the authenticity of ANY "moon rock" now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kansas Cosmosphere has a life size replica of the Shuttle, but they put that on display when the real ones were still flying.

    The Cosmosphere is really a pretty neat place, particularly considering that it's in Hutchinson KS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's really upsetting is not having a replacement fleet due to the incumbent idiot.

    ReplyDelete