In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, July 14, 2017

Starfish Cactus...or Not

My wife had a cactus for years. It's a cactus that is known to have a large flower, even if it's a small cactus, and the flower is beautiful.The cactus never bloomed, until today.



It's beautiful, isn't it? There is one problem: it smells like roadkill. It smells like an armadillo, baked on the shoulder of a hot asphalt highway for three day. Not only will it nauseate you, the green carrion flies gather on the flower as though it was rotten meat.

Still, I like it. It's one of those unique things that gives pause, and appreciation.

6 comments:

  1. Thank God I have smell blockers installed in my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amazed at the foulness of the flower. It's outside, which is good. If it was in the house, I don't think the odor could ever be removed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just give it a shot of febreze and prop it up in the corner and it could fill in for Ruth Ginsberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If what is so rotten in Washington, D.C. had an odor, downwind would be so horrible, people wouldn't venture within dozens of miles near the capitol.

      Delete
  4. It's very interesting looking...shame about the smell!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea of the smell, until my wife asked: "Is it the good smell?"

      I had no idea what she meant, until I examined the look on her face, when he smelled the flower. After a little coaxing. I took the plunge.

      I was disgusted, and intrigued. I'm guessing the flower is best pollinated in its native environment by carrion flies.

      Delete