In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, June 6, 2013

When Old Folks Break

My mother fell and broke her hip. The options are:

- Do nothing, which means she'll be bed-ridden, more than likely get bed sores and eventually die from complications of the sores, or pneumonia.

- Screw the ball at the top of the long bone back to the bone, spend weeks recovering and probably not be able to walk, due to constant pain.

- Attach a synthetic ball to the top of the long bone and start aggressive physical therapy within days of the surgery. The typical method is a controlled rehabilitation environment for weeks before considering a return home. This method will allow her to walk.

Her cardiologist says the risks of either surgery are equal, so he deferred to the judgement of the orthopedic surgeon, which suggested the partial hip replacement.

This happens tomorrow in early afternoon. After that, it's a crap shoot, due to my mother's age and her willingness to keep on trying.

The waiting process has started. The results will only be known after it's all over. I can only hope for the best and pray for her relief.

Update: The surgery went well. The surgeon said the surgery is the easy part; rehabilitation is the tough road. She'll be in pain, the therapist will be aggressive and nobody knows how a person will react. While my mother always was a fighter, there's no guarantee she won't throw in the towel for the peace of passing. 

Time will tell. 

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. I updated the post to tell how the surgery went.

      Delete
  2. Hip replacement is getting to be pretty routine, it should go smoothly.

    Whose hardware are they implanting? The company I work for makes those types of devices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about the manufacturer, but will ask the surgeon, if my tired mind doesn't go into neutral.

      Delete
    2. Not a big deal they all make excellent devices, they have to in order to pass FDA approval. It's just an idle curiosity. My uncle has one that we made, seems to be very happy with the decision to finally go through with the surgery and become mobile again after years of procrastinating.

      Delete
    3. And Yes, the surgery is the easy part, rehab is a bitch. Especially so when the surgery is an emergency. Usually Ortho surgeons have a heads up meeting with the patient and start getting the patient into shape for rehab a few months before the surgery. She'll be facing a challenge and I hope all goes well for her.

      Delete
    4. She's in ICU, due to her pacemaker/defibrillator, so my visits are limited, but they already have her walking. Her only complaint is the pace. If they walk too fast, it hurts. If they walk slowly, she doesn't have pain.

      Delete
  3. Both of you hang in there, and prayers sent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your mum, Jess. It must be very difficult for you and your family right now. But, the power of positive thinking and prayer can go a long way at times like these. You both have my sympathy and best wishes for as smooth a recovery as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The last few years have been tough. This is a new chapter and I have no idea what it will bring.

      Delete