In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, February 20, 2014

What a Beautiful Early Surprise

Yesterday evening, the fog was so heavy, you couldn't see but about 300 feet and the Galveston traffic wasn't paying attention to the dangerous conditions. To make matter worse, Mardi Gras is this weekend, so the seawall is filling up with campers.

I went back to the motel, locked the door and determined I wouldn't go back out, unless there was an emergency.

Before I went to bed, I stepped out, looked up at all the empty rooms upstairs and made a note of how the motel was hoarding rooms for the anticipated rape  adjusted rates for the upcoming weekend. All above were empty. I knew because the curtains were open.

I woke this morning at the usual time of 4:30. For some reason, I decided to look outside, see if the fog was still heavy and adjust my leaving time if it was. I'm glad I did.

When I opened the door, something about my pickup caught my eye. Focusing on the hood, I could tell something was on it, that wasn't on it last night. I stepped from the door, moved closer to my truck and discovered what it was.

Sometime during the night, somebody stepped to the edge of the balcony upstairs and hurled on my truck. The hood was covered, and the walk in front of my pickup was covered, also.

I quickly dressed, decided I needed to go find a coin car wash and stopped at the lobby on the way out.

The night manager was no help. I knew the room immediately upstairs was now occupied, but they stated it was a regular customer, about my age and would leave in the morning on a helicopter to go offshore. I told the night manager I didn't know who did it, and it really didn't matter, since it was disgusting in the first place and they needed to clean the concrete.

I found a car wash, washed my truck, stopped for a breakfast burrito and made it to the project on time.

The rest of the day was a lesson in futility, for many reasons. I should have known how it would go, by how it started.

They did clean the concrete. I'm glad. I was loaded for bear, and whoever was at the desk would have received both barrels.

8 comments:

  1. When your day starts out that badly, it seems that it has nowhere to go but up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in all, some crappy things continued to happen, but some important decisions were made; which were becoming annoying, like a hangnail.

      Delete
  2. I once came out of a hotel room to see that some dips$%t had flicked his cigarette butt off the upstairs walkway onto the hood of my car. It had burned a 1/2 inch scar into the paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Motels are where decent people temporarily cohabitate with heathens.

      Delete
  3. They should have paid for your car wash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the $1.25 to see them squirm, when I confronted them at 5:00 in the morning. The night manager didn't know whether to shit, or go blind.

      Delete
  4. The more motel horror stories I hear and encounter, the more I think it's more worth it to invest in an RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you spend a lot of time in motels, an RV, or trailer are the best way to go. All the conveniences of home are available, you don't have to wonder who is digging through your luggage and you can leave at a moment's notice.

      Delete