In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Walmart, Zen and Crocs

I went to the Super Walmart this evening to do some grocery shopping. I had eaten, was cooling off and had on my Crocs. It wasn't like my usual Walmart experience.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I realized I was calm, relatively cool and suddenly went to a different plane. I was now super calm, super observant and focused on observing my experience. I was in Walmarditation, which is like meditation, but instead of letting your mind go blank, your mind opens and you become a disinterested observer. It's like an out of body experience, while pushing a shopping basket.

As I walked towards the door, two women were conversing in the parking lot, while a handful of children orbited around them and their carts. They were discussing their chicken-rice recipes. As I thought of this, I realized how wonderful their recipes must be. After all, what else but perfection could compel you to speak of such things in a parking lot where the temperature was near 100 degrees. I continued towards the door while they continued to block the traffic trying to park.

I reached for a basket, and carefully checked the wheels for locked bearings and flat spots. I wanted my experience to not have the distraction of a constant thumpity-thump. I failed to notice the half melted, partially wrapped Three Muskateers until after I had reached the tomatoes on sale near the door. Instead of my usual irritation, I calmly thought: "Oh well, I suppose the other half must have kept some basket rodent from pulling things off the shelf"

I put a handful of the tomatoes in a bag. As I bagged the tomatoes, I wondered how many runny nosed crack-heads had fondled the tomatos after scratching their sweaty crotch. It didn't bother me. I was in Walmarditation and knew chlorine bleach would stop the spread of infection.

I wandered through the store and checked off my small list. Instead of my usual problems, I only encountered one women with a motorized buggy pulling a cart. She was unsure of a purchase, so she shifted between forward and reverse while she made the decision. The back-up alarm chirped as she rocked and decided. I carfully navigated around her aisle block and continued with my shopping.

As I passed the entrance aisle, a frantic women almost took off the front of my basket. She looked as though some Xanax would help. I smiled and continued on my way. Right beyond was a grandfather with a grandchild that was having a hard time comprehending that "get out of the way",  meant "get out of the way". He looked at me for a reaction. I smiled and nodded as I passed. I had no words of wisdom.

I was finally through, so I went to the speedy check-out and waited behind a young man with a gallon of milk. The couple at the check-out kept looking around nervously. They had at least 40 items and were nervous because they knew I knew. Instead of my usual anger, I observed them as they hurried and continued to be nervous. It was as though my focus was punishing them for their arrogance. I felt a power and knew that one word of anger would cause them to run screaming from the store. I casually ignored them and watched as they scurried away.

My experience was almost over. As I walked through the parking lot, a cautious Grackle scampered under a car with a chicken bone in its beak. There was nothing left to eat, so its prize was only a trophy of a meal it never had.

Right before I reached my truck, a small car pulled into the adjoining space. It was an older model compact, with a visqueen and duct tape back window. Everything the occupant owned was crammed in every space available. The only space left was where the driver sat. I wondered where they would put anything they bought.

I knew my experience was ending, so I hurriedly drove across the parking lot towards the exit. As I watched a driver run a stop sign, and my reaction was "What a dumbass" I realized my Walmarditation was over. I was back.


3 comments:

  1. Wow. That was beautiful.

    I'm not sure which part was my favorite,

    "As I bagged the tomatoes, I wondered how many runny nosed crack-heads had fondled the tomatos after scratching their sweaty crotch. It didn't bother me. I was in Walmarditation and knew chlorine bleach would stop the spread of infection."

    or

    "As I walked through the parking lot, a cautious Grackle scampered under a car with a chicken bone in its beak. There was nothing left to eat, so its prize was only a trophy of a meal it never had."

    Deep. Meaningful. And, indicative of every Walmart experience had by any person with more than one neuron firing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zenlike! Impressive effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To have an experience like that at Wal-Mart, I have to take several of the pills the nice doc prescribed to me...

    ReplyDelete