In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Quandary

I sold my mother's car a few months ago, through a bank, to a private individual. All legal paths were followed and no circus animals were hurt during the process.

I received a notice for payment from a far away toll agency, because the car was used to avoid multiple tolls, after the date of the sale.

I wrote on the original notice that my mother was deceased and the car was sold before the toll running. Apparently, that doesn't satisfy the bureaucrats, so I've explained to the point of my quandary.

Should I send a copy of the bill of sale, transferred title and a letter? Or, should I just send a Death Certificate and see how they respond?

6 comments:

  1. Hm.
    Well, in Illinois dead folks vote...
    DWD (driving while deceased) isn't that much of a stretch in a bureaucrat's mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine there's hardly any fine for DWD, since collecting the money is tough,

      Delete
  2. I think first, I would attempt to reach someone by telephone to try and get things resolved. I would send them a copy of any of the above if requested. If a telephone conversation is unsuccessful and they persist, what I would do next would depend on to whom the original notice for payment was sent. If they sent it to your mother, I would then ignore them. You cant subpoena a dead person. If it came to you, I would wait for a summons and then maybe act on that. Don't beat yourself up trying to deal with bureaucrats, especially if they are out-of-state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send them a copy of the bill of sale and the title after it was signed. After that it's a crap shoot on what they'll do. Bureaucrats can be infuriating with their persistence.

      Delete
  3. The legal owner of the vehicle is responsible for the tolls, no matter who had legal use of the vehicle. I'd just send them a copy of the bill of sale and title. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I get a little irritated at the bureaucratic nature of any government entity, but it's how they operate, and I have the feeling they've seen more than their share of unscrupulous methods to avoid paying tolls.

      Delete