In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, September 6, 2014

End of Summer

Today was one of those days, when the thunderstorms build, stay almost stationary and eventually rain out over the spot where they started. The air afterward is so heavy, the smallest of efforts lead to sweating so much, soaked clothes are the result; even my socks were wet.

The heavy sweating kicked my butt. Any energy I started with is gone and simple things are large efforts this evening. To place it in perspective: that much sweating is like running for miles in nice weather. It drains and leaves you exhausted.

This evening, with the sun starting to set, the huge anvil clouds are a wonder to behold. That's a sign of the start of the end of summer. Within weeks, we'll have a cold front; be rewarded with a morning with the temperature in the sixties and "suffer" a high of less than eighty degrees. I can hardly wait.

8 comments:

  1. The cooler temps have started to move into Minnesota. Highs next week mid 60's lows upper forty's. Time to dig out the coats and wash them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's almost any day from late October into May. We have some bitter cold; even some freezing precipitations; but it doesn't last. The trade off is brutal heat during the Summer, which most people can avoid in air conditioned buildings and cars.

      Delete
  2. "...temperature in the sixties and "suffer" a high of less than eighty degrees." Sounds like a Michigan summer. Rumor has it that signs summer is almost over in Michigan involve several feet of morning snow in the UP. I'm in the lower mitten, so I wouldn't know. We just get steel gray overcast skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate writing this, but I'm already seeing trees with leaves starting to turn yellow. It's a little soon and might be a sign of a cold winter in my neck of the woods.

      Delete
  3. The old saw about "it's not the heat, it's the humidity" is spot-on this year. And last year. And the one before that. Let's just say it, humidity sucks.
    I love thunderstorms. Love them with the white-hot passion of a politician for a dimwitted intern. We use them at Ye Old Workplace as an intelligence barometer: if you wade across the parking lot and arrive soaked to the skin for anything less than plasma and oxygen, (like, oh let's say, Faygo soda and generic cigarettes), you, my friend, are one of the biggests brainvoids on the planet.
    Thus endeth the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't get wet for soda, but for a cold beer, I'd probably walk a few blocks in the rain.

      Delete
  4. I am amazed, but I saw the first yellow leaves flutter to the ground yesterday in my yard. Usually, I see those in August. It is so humid in my yard that it is an effort to just get to the car. I begrudgingly trudge out to the hens to open and close their pen and feed them. About four times each day in the humidity is painful. Since my swing broke, I cannot even sit in the shade and relax, pretending to be mosquito bait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed today I was dripping all over my project plans. It was like I just stepped from the shower, fully clothed, and was standing there dripping all over everything.

      Delete