In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Frost of a Different Color

When the atmospheric conditions are right, tiny crystals of ice will form on objects. With water this is anywhere from an ambient air temperature of 38 degrees or colder.

Where I've been working, this phenomenon occurs, but the temperature is much warmer and the crystals are not ice: they're sulfur.

Here are some photos I took. Most are found inside the insulated lids of the concrete trenches, although they can form outside the trenches, if the conditions are right and the sulfur fumes are in a high concentration.




6 comments:

  1. I've only ever seen regular frost. I had no idea that sulfur could produce a kind of frost as well. Learn something new every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulfur is fascinating, although the odor is not.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the old adage "Don't eat yellow snow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it, the Frank Zappa song popped into my mind:

      "Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow,"

      Delete
  3. Some very cool shots. At least the stinky sulfur is photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sulfur, whether solid, molten, or as a crystal is brilliant and pleasant to the eye. Unfortunately, it's terribly unpleasant to the sense of smell, and dangerous.

      Delete