In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Sunday, April 6, 2014

When I Wore a Younger Man's Clothes

Years ago, I was in a band. We played a local bar, when I wasn't working offshore. The gig ended, when I was offshore and the crowd became more to handle than the owner was prepared to handle. I don't know what happened, but it was rough and things became ugly.

One night, while playing, an old man would walk up to my piano, place a ten dollar bill and ask if we'd play "Matilda". I didn't know the song; never even heard of it and couldn't have played it if I wanted.

His wife, who politely walked up, after the man stumbled away, would smile and pick up the ten dollar bill. She'd be a few steps behind, sit down after he parked for another beer, and quietly wait.

This happened three times. They eventually left and I could only wonder what they were doing there. I guessed it was their favorite watering hole and things quieted down, when we weren't playing.

This song reminds me of the time, although I never went on with my musical career. Too many other things caught my attention and fate led me here; thinking about the past and still loving the memories.


2 comments:

  1. I've always admired and probably envied a little, those who were musically inclined. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but love listening to those who can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music can be a terrible burden. To be successful means time away from home and a nomadic lifestyle.

    To be famous, means giving up more than many realize they can't live without.

    ReplyDelete