In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, October 13, 2014

Big, Badass Thunderstorms

How about that title? I'm betting that will get the attention of a few.

We had them today. A real cold front, with thunderstorms, wind, cloud to ground lightning and plenty of rain preceded an event folks up north would call summer. The forecast is temperatures in the fifties, highs in the upper seventies and beautiful clear skies for the next few days.

I'll take it. My ass is gone; it melted away like a dropped snow cone on a hot sidewalk.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE thunderstorms and used to stand on the front porch in Indiana and watch them come across the fields. But wind scares the bejeesus outta me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An arc cloud, rolling across the landscape, is a fantastic sight to see. My favorite was one that was white and rolled across an arctic front one winter morning. It was like a long, white tube that stretched across the sky. When it passed, the temperature dropped 20 degrees, and a cold day became even colder.

      Delete
  2. I come from the land of tornadoes, but wind does not scare me. Of course, walking under old oaks is plain scary if the wind is blowing. I am not a fan of thunderstorms/ I think it the effect of the dropping barometer. I just want to sleep. Right now, I am awaiting a huge storm rolling in from MS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some bother me; some don't. The worst was one that went from black, to a sea green in the core. The wind became so strong, trees were bent to where they looked like they'd break.

      I drug a mattress into a hallway, and climbed under it, until the storm passed.

      As it turned out, the green hue was from large hail, which is only seen in super cells.

      The final outcome was a few days without electricity, a collapsed roof at the airport, plane tossed around like paper and a few hundred acres of tallow trees completely denuded of leaves.

      Delete
    2. I remember that storm... I woke up that morning with a super strong feeling not to send my son who was in first grade to school.. I didn't so him, my daughter and I hid under a mattress in the hall.. and for a week I made them sleep with me... that storm scared me to death..

      Delete
    3. If I remember correctly, one person was killed, when the roof collapsed at the airport.

      For a long time, one airplane was lodged in a ditch thousands of feet from where it was parked.

      Delete
  3. I've always loved to watch storm clouds roll in. My Dad and I would stand on the porch of our old farmhouse and watch the storms. Mom and my sister, however, would have nothing to do with storms. They cowered in the basement. After the storm passed, Dad would load me in the car and we would drive around, looking at the damage. There wasn't much to do for entertainment back then...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw the thunderstorms that cause the worse of tornadoes, until I worked in Central Texas and experienced them myself. They're terrible to behold, but fascinating.

      Delete