In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Calibration Hocus Pocus

There's been more than one report of electronic voting machines casting ballots in error. Observant voters caught the error, but there's not any way of knowing how many didn't.

What is a calibration error with an electronic voting machine? Somebody screwed up the computer code, whether intentionally, or by accident. I'd say both are responsible, but lean more to the intentional reason for most incidents. There is no "calibration". That's a word that is misused in this application.

Since voting machines are used by locals for entering candidate names, or ballot initiatives, the opportunity is there for fraud, and the data can easily be manipulated after an election.

The solution? No electronic voting. Paper ballots, voters get their finger dipped in indelible ink, and anyone caught intentionally trying to subvert votes is shot on sight. I have a feeling elections after this method is implemented would show a different view of the nation.

4 comments:

  1. I like your idea but would add one proviso. The electronics would be used to determine who voted Democrat and a large crane would dip the voter entirely in a vat of blue indelible ink, then a wind machine would blow a pile of small feathers on them... it's a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vision of that event made me giggle like a fool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, the machines have touchscreens that do have to be calibrated. Standard procedure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see calibration of sensitivity, but I can't comprehend an electronic touch screen having the code so screwed up, the vote goes to another candidate, unless it was intentional.

      Delete