In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, October 27, 2014

It's Official - I'm The Old Fart

Every industry has them: the old fart. I never thought I'd find myself in that position, but I can't deny facts.

As I was driving along, summarizing a comedy of errors, and thinking of how too many involved were what I consider woefully prepared for their position, I realized I was one of the old farts of the local construction industry. Out of thousands of workers, there are only a few like me; somewhere around 40 years experience, tired of the bullshit, and not as willing to pull miracles out of their asses each day to cover the inexperience of others.

So, I accept my position and growing apathy. I don't want an award, or anything else. What I want is a big bosom secretary, in a short skirt, to ride along with me all day and keep my coffee cup full.

Sexist? Damn straight. Being an old fart entitles me to be a dirty old man.

8 comments:

  1. I hear ya, Jess. I was the 'old timer' in the copier industry. When I learned and understood the copier theory, I was unstoppable and respected until I moved back here to hell. Before I left the business, my opinions were brushed aside and dismissed. I used to handle two entire school districts solo, and did not complain. The new kids in the industry take as many shortcuts as possible to get done sooner; then they leave early. I don't miss it at all. I know they suffered many ways when I quit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I find interesting is the pandering to the crappy attitude too many young folks acquire. I'm thinking it's due to many different things, but the main thing is a foolish sense of security.

      Delete
  2. Jess,
    LOL...and I thought that post was heading toward some philosophical conclusion, something high-minded...okay, forgot you are a guy...lol.

    extexanwannabee,
    I was fired from a job at which I was definitely very much qualified, a hard worker, and unappreciated, obviously. Later, someone was laughing and said it took four people to cover my workload and reach my level of education and experience. I was the only white person in a black run educational company funded by the federal government. People sneaked info to me which I used to destroy the place. Well, the entity/program exists, but the people running it were fired. Buying alcohol with federal grant funds is apparently not a good thing to do. That was not all they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way, it is a philosophical conclusion. Of course, my philosophy may be different than that of others.

      It's only fair the incompetent, thieving derelicts were fired. In a less polite society, they'd be turning big rocks into small rocks, with a small hammer.

      Delete
  3. This why many cultures honor and respect the elders. We have been there and seen it all and now have the wisdom to correct the errors of the youth under us... but will they listen??? NOOOO! Anyway, welcome to the club, old man. Wear the badge with honor. You earned it the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still think a big bosom secretary - in a short skirt - is the best way to show appreciation for my efforts. My problem is I'm the only one that thinks this is good...narrow minded people sure are tedious.

      Delete
  4. I still am trying to wrap my head around us being "the old farts".. when did that happen??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't consider myself an old fart. I use it to make the youngsters ashamed of being less fit than me, unwilling to try, and having only inspiration to find out how little they can do.

      Delete