In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Friday, October 24, 2014

Sorta a New Phone

I bought a new phone; or I should say the company I work for bought a new phone. It's a Samsung Convoy 3, which is my third Convoy. I've had a one and a two. Number one was run over by a tracked excavator, when it fell from the pouch. Number two must have had too many snorts of sulfur fumes. It would turn off by itself, had a half-assed way of transferring photos to the card, and the ear piece sound was getting what can only be described as rotten.

If you happen to look up the phone (no, I didn't provide a link. I'm lazy this evening and....okay, now you have link.) you can see it's a flip-top phone, which is what I like. Officially, I guess it's considered a "smart phone" because it can access the internet, and this version allows what the 1 and 2 didn't offer, which is the software and capability to actually surf the web; if I was so inclined. I don't, except to look at the weather, or to find a phone number.

The big drawback is the lack of a keyboard. Texts require alphanumeric juggling, which really affects my driving, when I've had a few, am eating a hamburger, and driving through a school zone....no I don't do that. I never eat, when I drive.

Still, it's compact, rugged as hell (Have I ever told you how many scars my old phones had after I dropped them on the pavement?) and it's the best alarm clock I ever had. Not only can I hit snooze, I can easily hide it under a pillow and ignore it completely.

To complete my informal product review, I have to comment on the battery charge life. It can go for days, if I don't use the phone very much. Considering I'm liable to forget my charger, that's a plus for me.

I'd recommend the phone to anyone that likes a flip-top, plain Jane phone and has a pocket full of money. Even with a rebate, and an upgrade, it was still a hundred dollars to purchase. The sales person told me it retails for $450. I can understand that. It's not a chicken-shit phone and if you want to communicate, even when you have a tendency break things, work in an abusive environment, need an sd card for preserving photos and messages, are hard of hearing, like to place the phone on vibrate, stick it in you pocket and have a friend call you for five minutes, and don't care if your phone is relatively small... and it haunts you to think yours is small... this is the phone for you.

Considering this is version three, I have the feeling I'm not alone with my preferences. With the typical one year life expectancy for the production of a phone, and the fact this phone has been around for 7 years that I know of, my preferences are shared by enough to keep Samsung churning out these phones and laughing all the way to the bank.

So there you are. Buy a few dozen and use them for stocking stuffers. Samsung will appreciate it...now, if I can only get them to pay me for their product endorsement.

3 comments:

  1. I've been "phone free" for about 6 months and loving it. I know its a luxury and i hate to brag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My phone is required for my work. At one time, it was only to order material, or verify their delivery. Now, it's almost impossible to find many of my business contacts, unless I dial their cell number. Even then, many prefer a text, or email.

    That's bad. I miss the doughnuts and breakfast pizzas they used to bring to the office occasionally....chintzy bastards!

    ReplyDelete