In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Diesel On My Hands

Diesel fuel is one of those things I don't like getting on my hands. It occasionally happens, such as when a fuel filter clogs on some equipment, but it's worse two times during the day: first thing in the morning, or last thing in the evening.

I know you're asking yourself: "Why?". It stinks, and the odor lasts for a long time. If spilled on clothes, the smell permeates everything else washed and it doesn't leave, until a after more than one washing.

Why am I posting this? This afternoon, a small excavator needed the fuel filter changed. That, and the fuel line needed to be purged. I was rewarded with diesel on my hands and it stinks. I left the job smelling of diesel. That sucks!

6 comments:

  1. Try it with bio-diesel sometime. (The recycled restaurant waste kind, not the new, "perfumed" variety.) You'll have the pleasure of smelling like the floor underneath and behind the fryer in a back alley New Orleans seafood shack. I never thought I'd ever smell anything that would give a rendering plant a run for its money, but some of the stuff will make a vulture vomit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked in a bio-diesel refinery last winter. One of the odors reminded me of the time I was downwind from the grease trap at an all-you-can-eat Mexican restaurant as they cleaned it, so it would drain. From talking from workers, getting some of their supply product on clothes was a nauseating experience.

      Delete
  2. It takes a special kind of person to do a job like that... Like being Rosie O'Donut's or Shillary's gynecologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, and being Obama's Proctologist. Then again, that might be easy, since he's pretty much a complete asshole.

      Delete
  3. I have thrown away a few leather watchbands after they were contaminated with diesel.
    Doesn't take but a few drops on the band to make it stink too.
    Took awhile but I learned to buy a plastic band and replace the metal or leather band that came with a watch before even wearing the watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I've noticed over the years is that all diesel vehicles smell of diesel, even if clean. It's on the ground by the pumps; and stepping out to fill the vehicle introduces the odor into the cab.

      Delete