In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Monday, October 13, 2014

Small Things Many Don't Know About

The lightning caused me to remember a strike on my home years ago. The dryer caught the brunt of the strike, and led to the discovery of a small device I didn't know about.

As I examined the damage, I found the cord was damaged; so was the breaker in the panel. After changing them, I still couldn't get the dryer to run. Before I threw in the towel, and gave up, I took my ohmmeter and traced the power circuit. That's when I found the device.

In the exhaust plenum, this tiny device was wired in line with the power for the machine. It had no continuity, so I removed it, and went to the appliance parts house the next day. When I showed it to the man at the counter, he knew what it was, went to the back, returned with the part and I bought it for about nine dollars.

Returning home, I replaced the part, put enough of the dryer back together to make it run, and was rewarded with it starting. After I completely reassembled the dryer, it worked perfectly and I eventually sold it years later for $50. It still worked fine, but I was given some new appliances by an in-law that was moving to a place where they didn't need the washer and dryer.

So, now you know about something mandated by regulations. It's real purpose? To interrupt the flow of electricity to the dryer, if the thermostat fails and the temperature rises to the point of burning your clothes.

You're welcome.

9 comments:

  1. Dang, I think I would have just thrown in the towel! I hate working with electricity and electrical doohicky thingys. I logically understand the concept of a circuit, but still... hey, some people don't like handling snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was determined to fix the damn thing, so I did.

      Delete
  2. What is the part called that you removed and replaced? Exactly where is it? I guarantee you I won't be working on the dryer, but I like to know these things so I can tell someone who is ready to throw in the towel. I don't mind electricity, but I would have to have the dryer removed to a tabletop for me to work on it...lol. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a thermal fuse. If a dryer gets so hot, it causes the fuse to blow, there are other problems to be addressed. Sometimes, it can be the result of not cleaning the lint filter, and the resulting fire. Usually, the thermostat failed, and that can lead to expensive repairs, if a technician is involved.

      Delete
    2. When my children were small, I walked by the dryer that had to be in the kitchen, and the heat emanating from the heater was immense. I touched the dryer and burned my hand. I knew this was bad. So, I grabbed a couple of potholders and shoved the dryer so I could get to the plug. The guy who came out said it was a failed thermostat, that it was stuck or inoperable or something. Now, dryers frighten me. The burn on my hand took several days to heal, so I can imagine what it would have done to a one-year-olds body. Occasionally, I get panicky over the dryer as it gets older. A technician was involved.

      Delete
  3. Well hell. I had no idea! I greatly admire a man who won't quit until he's exhausted all the possibilities..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the correct term is "hard headed". That, or obstinate.

      Delete
    2. Or brilliantly creative. OK. You win.

      Delete
    3. How come I feel really good about having my ass put in place?

      Delete