In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Saturday, October 11, 2014

Maybe Never Complete

I've had a song kicking around in my head for years. It started after my father died in 1989. The lyrics never gelled, and maybe never will, but the chorus came to me almost immediately. Writing it makes me sad, which might be the reason I never finished. Watching someone slowly fade away is worse than a sudden, tragic death.

So, since it may never be finished, I'll write down the chorus; maybe someday it won't be just another unfinished task

As we sit and think of days gone by
And the time that slipped away
He used to stand so straight and tall
It seems like yesterday

And he lays there now, so small and frail
And sleeps most every day
He can't get up; he can't go on
We never thought it would be that way

So, sail away, sail away
The lord is waiting for you across this storm tossed bay
He has built a house of memories
He'll take away your pain
Sail away, sail away, sail away.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your Dad, I know you lost your mom when you were very young. When one loses a parent, it takes a piece of us with them. That in itself is a sad thing to grow up without a mother. I lost my mom in a tragice car accident in 1980. The rest of my family walked around for days in a daze.
    We, as children, often think of our parents to live forever as most of us cannot imagine our lives without them. If only it were true...
    You have a gift expressing yourself. Many of us appreciate it. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were tears while reading this, remembering my Dad's slow decline. But there were smiles too, thinking about all of the love and laughter that went before. You have a talent for words that I can only wish for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a sad day, when I realized I wished my mother would be offered relief from her undignified existence. I'd learned a lot from observing my father and grandparents, which told me it was selfish for me to hope for miracles and continue to want her to stay. I had to let go, and hope her passing was peaceful.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful. I hope to hear the rest soon.

    Jilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've kicked the song around for years now. Maybe the inspiration will hit some day, and the rest will come.

      Delete
  4. I think a lot of people can relate to this in some way. I lost my father to the C in 1990. I'm glad now as I remember him, its the strong and healthy version who was seemingly indestructible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories of the final days have to be pushed away, when I think of those that passed on. There was so little left and it was hard to imagine them as young.

      Delete