In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Way Back When

In high school, it was common to see a few dozen pickups in the parking lot, with shotguns in the back window. Duck hunters would make a morning hunt before school, or leave in the evening to load the boat, and grab the decoys.

Everyone carried a pocket knife. It was a tool, like any tool, and a young man was expected to keep one handy.

Now? None of these things happen. Schools are day care centers, nobody is expected to step up to adulthood, and the results are weak, inefficient wannabe adults, that will find any physical activity daunting.

I don't know about you, but if there was a plan to prepare the United States for subjugation, it's getting close to fruition.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in a fairly large suburb of a major city. We generally didn't have a hunting culture. Still, I totally agree that there is a horrifying overall lack of self responsibility, accountability and an understanding of the cold hard reality of life.

    There is an interesting billboard in my town that I drive past every day on my way to work. It recently changed. Now it has an image of Abe Lincoln. It says "A house divided against itself cannot stand." -Civility, pass it on.

    I do not have much faith that the true intentions of Abe Lincoln are what the designers of the billboard campaign are attempting to channel. I have heard it said that a scary number of people these days now believe Lincoln was a democrat. I live in a very heavily democrat county.

    At least it is very curious and has given me something to think about along my morning drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not seeing the drive for self-sufficiency, but that can be blamed on the high cost of housing. It's hard to be on your own, when it cost so much just for a small apartment.

    ReplyDelete