In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Not Paying Attention

My job requires me to travel. Although it's usually locally, sometimes, it may be out of state. It gives me an opportunity to observe, and with my construction knowledge, I see things differently than many.

I'm observing the gradual decay of cities. Not just a few isolated cities; all cities. Streets are becoming less maintained, public buildings are showing wear, private homes are abandoned, and it's obvious most cities are having budget problems.

With some cities, the decay is almost startling. The decay indicates lack of money, lack of qualified repair personnel, and a shrinking tax base. People are fleeing, businesses are closing, and the property tax value shrinks accordingly. Houses that might once have been repaired are rotting away, and even if the city condemns the property, it's just another drain on the budget. When the property is auctioned for taxes, the value of the property is a small percent of the value it once had.

What's the solution? There is no quick solution, since ignorance is the biggest reason for the decay. Elected officials aren't qualified to shovel dog poop, but they're voted into office for their party affiliation, or the color of their skin, or their slick commercials, or their wealth.....the list goes on forever. Regardless of the reason, most voters are woefully ignorant of the basics of government, fiscal responsibility, how crime is like cancer, and their responsibility in the entire mess. To make things worse, those qualified are shrewd enough to stay away from politics. It's easier to move to a rural area, and avoid the pitfalls of living in a failed community.

So, it's only going to get worse. The ridiculous pensions, waste, squandered resources, and outright corruption in city governments will continue, and those accepting their ignorance will continue to wallow in their ignorance.

I think some may think there will some sort of bailout, but they fail to realize it will never come. Eventually, many cities will be bankrupt, those expecting a pension will find there will only be pennies on the dollar, and those that can, will leave; never to return. Too many were not paying attention, and it will be too late to do anything.

1 comment:

  1. with the lead pipe and poison water problem in my hometown of Flint, I would have just vacated the inner donut and relocated everyone instead of spending so much money running new lines to dilapidated houses built during GM hay days.. but I'm not in charge.... yet.

    ReplyDelete