In Case You've Wondered

My blog is where my wandering thoughts are interspersed with stuff I made up. So, if while reading you find yourself confused about the context, don't feel alone. I get confused, too.

If you're here for the stories, I started another blog: scratchingforchange.blogspot.com

One other thing: sometimes I write words you refuse to use in front of children, or polite company, unless you have a flat tire, or hit your thumb with a hammer.

I don't use them to offend; I use them to embellish.

jescordwaineratgmail.com

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Irony and Stupidity

The name Reality Winner as the name for someone busted for releasing classified information is more than ironic. If it wasn't her actual name, someone just glancing through the news would think they found an article from "The Onion". It's her name, and reality is setting in.

News reports state she was in the Air Force before she worked for the private contractor where she had access to the classified information. I would think she'd realize the consequences of such a bad decision, but then again, she may be lacking in the ability to understand how terrible her action will be perceived.

There has been a plethora of leaks from people in the government. These leaks, which may only be created information, led to days of speculation by the media, and those against the current administration ran with unsubstantiated information to support their efforts to hamper. Beside being embarrassing, the leaks - or supposed leaks - indicated those leaking needed to found.

So, now we have an official leaker, which according to news reports, confessed her crimes and knows the severity of her actions. What she doesn't know is she will be crucified. I expect at least half of the maximum penalties, when she is sentenced; if she isn't charged with something more severe than mishandling classified information. Espionage, or treason, could be the charges by a U.S. Attorney with an agenda. That would lead to a circus of media coverage, and the possibility her stupidity will leave her in prison for nearly all her life.

This is one to watch. I have the feeling Reality Winner will be used as an example to show those so willing to give away classified information how it might not be so cute.


Newer news reports state she was denied bail, since she downloaded to a thumb drive, they're still sorting through what she acquired, her not stating she wanted to burn down the White House, and support for terrorists. 

Stupidity might not be the best description. Devious, vengeful traitor might be a better description. 

4 comments:

  1. If, during my military service, I'd mishandled or disclosed a top secret document, I'd still be in Leavenworth. This idiot needs to get the max sentence, both because it's just and “ pour encourager les autres.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she'll be the first of many. With her admission of guilt, and easy prosecution, prosecutors will be emboldened, especially with a D.O.J. backing their efforts.

      I wouldn't be surprised if she is given a very harsh sentence. It's how the government works.

      Delete
  2. She ought to get the same treatment Bradley Manning got.
    A few years and a sex change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling she might enjoy being a female in a female prison. Time will tell.

      Delete